Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Garage Sale

So, I went to a "teacher" garage sale this morning. I figured I could find some great deals on books, flashcards, organizational tools, basic teacher stuff. Boy was I in for a surprise. This was like the high class version of a garage sale--kind of an oxymoron, huh? All the paperback books were at least a dollar each. These aren't like novels with hundreds of pages of reading delight. No, these are five and six page Kindergarten level very early readers. I was expecting to walk up and offer five dollars for a box of books. I would have been happy paying ten dollars for a box full. Then I asked about a plastic, three drawer bin full of "prizes." For those of you who are not teachers, that is what we call junk that kids love and parents just throw away. Anyway, I asked how much it would cost. She said..., wait for it...TWENTY DOLLARS!!!! Where I grew up you didn't buy anything at a garage sale for twenty dollars unless it was a decent piece of furniture. Not a set of plastic drawers full of junk! Yes, I did buy some books. I justified it by reminding myself that I have been thinking about buying some more books this summer anyway, and even at a dollar a piece they are still cheaper than I could find them anywhere else. It was not, however, a great garage sale shopping experience.

1 comment:

cdjenkins said...

Yay, yay, yay, Julia! I'm SOOOO glad to know you have joined the blogging world! I LOVE it and am TOTALLY addicted, too, so don't feel guilty about it! I check mine at least once a day, but in the summer it is more like two to three times...eeek. Anyway, I am looking forward to keeping up with your life. Will you be in U-town for our reunion? I will be there and I am so hoping you and Dave will be, as well!