Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 8, 2008

2 Weeks Down

We have finished two full weeks of school and I have been busy! For some reason starting this year has been very difficult for me. I just don't have the motivation or guidance that I have had in years past. I felt so ill-prepared I tried to get sent home on meet the teacher night. For some reason my district, and probably many others, think that the most stressful time of year (the week before school starts) is also the best time to schedule professional development. This makes no sense to me because when I sit through all those forever long classes I am not thinking about what is being presented. I am mentally making a list of all the things that need to be done in my classroom in order to be ready for my students on the first day of school. Well, the day before meet the teacher night we had one such day scheduled. Only this was no ordinary inservice day. It was a marathon made up of multiple sprints, if that makes any sense what-so-ever. It was a full day of inservice where we rotated to 6 or 8 30 minute sessions. Talk about brain overload. After about the second session I was done. Some of these sessions were located in the gym of an elementary school where we were basically siting on the floor or stairs. Yes, I was about 14 weeks pregnant sitting on the floor for extended amounts of time. Did they honestly think this was a conducive learning environment???

Back to trying to get sent home from meet the teacher night....After the stressful inservice day that I felt was completely wasted I had a TON to get done in my room, but I also had to meet with my team, and run some errands to get stuff ready. We didn't have any printers that were functioning at our campus and didn't have a laminator yet. Who opens a school without printers and a laminator? Apparently my school, but I wouldn't recommend it! So, at about 4 in the afternoon after running around like mad for hours I did not feel well. My heart was beating like crazy and I started to get worried. I figured I would go see the nurse and let her take my blood pressure. My bp is normally fairly low, but when she took it it was on the high end. No dangerously high, but much higher than normal. She wasn't too concerned about my blood pressure. She was more concerned with my pulse, which was quite erratic. She told me that she would talk to my principal and tell him I needed to go home, but I felt bad doing that and having my students come up expecting to see me and then me be at home. I decided to relax for the rest of the afternoon and see how I felt. Turns out I think it was just the stress of the day/night because I haven't had any more problems. I have also made the decision that nothing that happens at school is worth me stressing out that much, especially since I have two precious babies to take care of right now. I have done much better managing my stress since then. If you are wondering how I do it, I don't really know. All I can think of is that I just walk away. If something is stressful I do something else, or think about something else. The problem/stressor will be there later for me to deal with.

I have a really good group of kids. This time of year is alway interesting. It can be so much fun getting to know the kids in my class. Figuring out their personalities and their quirks can be very intersting! I am very thankful for the kids in my class. I think we are going to have a great year. I am working very hard to really get them into some routines and habits now so that my sub has an easier time once the babes come. We will see how that goes...I guess that will be a later post.

No comments: