Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 26, 2009

What a trip!!

My grandmother passed away last Tuesday so I went down for the funeral this past weekend. Ellie and Gracelyn got to go on their first road trip. Man, I had no idea what one little car ride would do to them! Due to multiple stops, a normally 5 1/2 hour drive took about 7 hours. We went down on Thursday and came back yesterday. The first night at my parent's was crazy. Ellie had no problems--she went to sleep at the normal time and slept just like usual. Gracelyn, on the other hand, did not do well! She was up crying like I have never heard from her until about midnight. Once she went to sleep she slept until about 6:30. The next night was more of the same. By the third and fourth night she started getting back in her routine but she never did go down at night very easily. It has been better the last couple of nights since we have been home, but still with some unusual crying. Oh, I just realized I haven't mentioned the "wedge" and it's part in this craziness. It made the trip with us. We put her in it the first night and she went right to sleep but slept less than an hour. Usually Dave or I can comfort her when she wakes up in the wedge. Thursday night there was no comforting. I think she was just so tired and out of sorts from the entire day she just screamed and screamed. Finally, I just took her out. She hasn't slept in it since. I have her sleeping on a small sleep positioner (from Target) next to me in bed. I am trusting that I will wake up if she spits up and starts to choke on it. I have always said I didn't want my babies to sleep in our bed, but I don't know what else to do. She fights that wedge so much and it is getting worse and worse. I thought she would eventually start getting used to it, but no. I am also worried about the growth of her feet. They seem to be growing a little strangely since she started sleeping on the wedge. I asked the pediatrician if it could cause her feet to grow incorrectly and she said she didn't think so, but I don't know what else could be happening. What would you do if it were your baby? Would you try to get her to sleep in the wedge, or would you quit fighting it and have her sleep with you? I am thinking about getting a second opinion about a course of action concerning her spit up issues. I have never gotten a second opinion before and almost feel like I am betraying our pediatrician, who I have been happy with. I just think there has to be another treatment that will work better for our family. Let me know what you think.







Here are some updated photos from this past week at my parents. It was a sad occasion, but it was so nice to get to see so much family.




I was ready to come home on Monday, but my brother, who was my ride back, was not coming until Wednesday so I had a few extra days with my parents. It ended up working out well because we got to be there for my dad's birthday. Here he is lovin' on the girls. Ellie is in the green dress and Gracelyn is in the blue.



Here is my dad's side of the family. Most of the cousins were able to be there. Unfortunately, my sister was not able to make the trip back down so soon after she was here. Jill, we missed you and Jake!!


Gracelyn







Ellie


We had so much fun spending time with our cousins!


My mom's parents and two of her sisters came in for the funeral, also. Ellie and Gracelyn really enjoyed being held and loved on by their great Granma and great Granpa, great Aunt Janice and great Aunt Jackie. I am so glad the girls finally got to meet you! We love you!

6 comments:

Kara Sheets said...

zach always slept better with the boys in bed with us. i got used to it pretty quickly. if it doesn't bother you, then that should be an option to explore.
there are also these bassinet things that push up right next to a bed. it would be the perfect place to have her in earshot and arms length, but not be in the bed.

sbharris said...

jules. so sorry to hear about your grandmother, but happy you got to spend some time with your family. The girls are growing up so quickly. they are just so precious. I am anxious to see them.

Haley said...

I say do what works for you. William slept in his own bed most of the night, but after his really early morning feeding I always kept him in bed and relished those extra hours of sleep with my sweet baby. He sleeps in his own bed just fine now (most nights). I am sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Dave and Lisa said...

Hi Julia,
How nice to be in contact with you again. Thanks for visiting our blog. I had heard through the grapevine that you were married, but I didn't know about the twins. Congratulations! Being a mommy is such a wild ride, isn't it? I can only imagine how busy your hands must be with TWO. :-)
It was nice to see pics of your parents. I remember them from those years ago when we were roomies. I'll bet they are lovin' their new grandparent roles as much as my folks are.
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Blessings,
Lisa

Jill said...

They are just adorable and getting so big! I missed seeing you guys and can't wait for this summer!

bernitasheets1955 said...

I say do whatever works for you. There are so many theories and advice out there (even from different doctors) that you can get yourself confused. I am assuming that you have her sitting up (sort of) when she is in bed with you. The bassinet idea sounds great to.