Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The story of us

Christmas in New York
December 2007


A friend of mine, Kara, told the story about how she and her husband met a while back and I thought it was so sweet. I have to warn you, though, I have the worst memory so I probably won't remember all the details, but a girl can try!

I guess the story starts with a shy freshman at Texas A&M University. When I declared my major at freshman orientation, I had no idea I was on the path to meeting my future prince charming! (Pretty cheesy stuff, but this story is how I met the love of my life! I think a little cheese is necessary!) I decided to major in Psychology, due to a lack of any real vision of where I wanted to end up someday, and because I thought getting in people's heads would be interesting. A friend of mine from high school, Charla, also happened to be a psyc major. We didn't even know we were the same major until the week before school started! Coincidence? I think not! Well, Charla introduced me to Casey, who was a new friend of her's from orientation. The three of us did just about everything together that first semester. We studied together. Talked about boys together. Went to Sweet Eugene's together. For all you nonAggies, that was THE place to get coffee. And, most importantly, we went to Freebirds together. Oh, I also had 3 out of my first 4 classes with these girls. It was an exciting time. Charla lived in a different dorm than Case and I, and she had a roommate that she was really close with, so she had a life away from us. Casey and I pretty much spent our entire freshman year together. She was in a sorority but I have forgiven her for that lapse in judgement! ;) We lived together during the spring semester of our freshman year, but never again after that. We stayed super, super close, though.




I had a lot of soul searching, learning, questioning, growing that needed to happen before I met my husband. Casey and I went through a lot of that together. I have to say that I know who I am a little better because of my friendship with Casey. For the most part, we were two peas in a pod. I had an amazing college exprience that eventually led me to graduate school at ACU. I loved being a psyc major. All my classes were so interesting, but I didn't realize until junior year that it is almost impossible to get a good job with just a bachelor's degree in psychology. I had two choices: 1) change my major and lose a bunch of hours, but avoid grad school; or 2) graduate on time and figure out something to study in a masters program. I chose option 2 which led me to ACU, but we will get to that later.




So, while I was in College Station deciding where I would go and what I would do after graduation, a handsome boy was living in Abilene, not taking life too seriously! If you know my husband, you know how laid back he is. I don't know that he remembers much from his time in classes at ACU, but he can tell you every intramural team he was on, how they did (which he says they usually won, but what guy doesn't say that to impress a girl?), AND who all was on the team. (And he owned enough sporting equipment to stock a small athletic supply store!) He played tennis, loved roadtrips with his friends, and learned to play guitar in the dorm. The man was a social butterfly!


We both graduated in May of 2001 and had no idea what was in store for us the next year....

4 comments:

The Dodson Family said...

Waiting for more...

a cowgirl at heart said...

Aw, that is so sweet! I remember when I first met Dave, I thought, "Wow, Julia has found the perfect man for her." Seriously, my first impression just on looks alone was that Dave was your "type." I can't wait to hear more! OH, and I remember those days SOOOO fondly! I LOVED that, after being in school together for HOW many years, we finally really got to know one another in college! Go figure!

Barkley Bunch said...

A psychology major? Doesn't surprise me. :)

M KD Wilson said...

funny how things happen huh?!? matt & i worked in at HEB together and had several shifts together. it wasn't till several months later we realized our schedules linked so well because we had the same major...and it'll be 5 years of wedded bliss in January!