Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mommy's little helpers

Ellie and Gracelyn are getting so good at helping me keep the house clean!  Take a look....


Ellie helping fold the laundry.


Gracelyn folding the laundry.


Gracelyn helping me load the dishwasher.


Ellie couldn't let Gracelyn have all the fun so she came to join in.


Gracelyn cleaning the windows.  If you look closely you can actually see the "cleaner" running down the window right about where her mouth would touch the window when she was standing up.


Ellie cleaning the floor with her tummy.  (Ellie has started crawling on her hands and knees sometimes, but she still prefers staying on her tummy and pulling with her elbows.)

Ok, now I need some help from you.  I have never been what you would call a "neat-freak," but now that I have four little hands constantly touching my floor I feel I need to keep this place pretty clean.  The only problem is that I  have also become quite cautious, not only about the germs that get on those little hands, but also about chemicals they might pick up from the floor.  I have been hesitant to use any kind of cleaner, but I don't feel like just using water really gets things very clean.  That is where you come in.  If you have any great suggestions or if you have done research about this please, please leave me a comment.  Any ideas are welcome.  Let me know what you do to keep that floor spic-n-span!

11 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Wow Julia! I'm so impressed that you are training them so early to help out with the chores. Good job! I would leave you some tips on how I keep my floors so spic and span, but, well, you know better. :)

Jill said...

I feel like my floors are pretty disgusting and I actually cringe when I see Jake eating finger foods and the images of all those nasty germs enter my mind. ANYWAY, you can use a cleaner and then go back over it all with water, which is a pain, but probably the best way to get clean and nontoxic.

Love the pictures! Gracelyn's smile is great!! She just beams. Of course, Ellie's is, too, I was just noticing....

sbharris said...

Love these pictures! They are getting so big! Gosh they are such cute! Glad you have such great helpers!

M Holly said...

Vinegar and hot water is what I use. Vinegar is a good disinfectant. At least that's what my mother, a nurse, taught me many, many years ago. I've used it exclusively for the past 30+ years.
H. McRae

Suella said...

Vinegar, definitely vinegar. It's all natural, will clean just about anything and won't hurt them if they accidentally drink some.
Do a search on the internet about cleaning with vinegar. You will be amazed.

The girls are so beautiful and have gotten so big. Love the pictures.

Kyley King said...

Hey Julia,

Your girls are getting so big. They are just precious!

I also use the vinegar/water mixture because my swiffer wet jet was leaving too much residue. What I do it fill a spray bottle with hot water and add vinegar and spray it on the floor then I use the wet jet to mop it up. Works like a charm and I don't feel like I wasted my money on a gimicky product.

Have a great weekend!

Shelly said...

Wow. You win. You win my nomination for mom of the year. I have never NOT ONCE thought about the chemicals I use on the floor. They don't seem to work anyway. All I think about is getting them up. But I am going to try vinegar. Your kiddos are soo stinking cute! They look soo happy! Hope all is well. We need to get together soon!

julia said...

Thank you for all your suggestions!! I will definitely try vinegar and hot water.

Haegelin Family said...

let me know how it works! i have used just regular water and have tried a few rounds of those "natural" cleaners (which are sticky). now i am curious!

Sally Hiler said...

Hi Julia,
Love the blog and your girls!

My mom was a vinegar/water user when we were growing up too :)

You might try Simple Green:
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_family.php

We use this on our boat, and it looks like there are a lot of safe options that are non-toxic, biodegradable, non hazardous, and the list goes on.

This can be used for more than floors too :)

Have a great day!
Sally

julia said...

Well, we have been using vinegar on EVERYTHING!! It has made cleaning a lot easier. I hope I am not overdoing it!! ;) My favorite places to use it: High chair trays! Thanks for all of your helpful comments!!