Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 15, 2010

A little of this, a little of that

I started this post last Thursday....

I know I haven't had much to say on here lately and there is a good reason....We haven't been doing ANYTHING but staying inside and playing!  Gracelyn had a double ear infection 3 weeks ago and while we were at the doctor's office I asked the pediatrician if their prematurity could still cause problems if they get sick now even though they are over 1 year old.  Apparently, RSV could still be a potential problem.  I know it is never good for a baby to get RSV but since Ellie and Gracelyn were born so early, it could pose a greater threat for their little lungs.  The pedi said if they got it they would probably be fine, but she advised us to keep them out of the public until April again this year just to be extra careful.  This has put a serious kink in our social calendar!!  Thankfully, we have less than 2 months left!! 

We officialy have two walkers on our hands!  I can't believe it!!  Gracelyn has been taking steps for just over a month and then on Monday she just started walking!  She will still lose her balance, sit, and then crawl, but she will stand up and walk quite a bit.  Ellie just started taking steps last week so I was thinking she might be walking in about a month.  Nope!  I guess she sat back and watched Gracelyn long enough to learn what she needed to do.  She doesn't walk as often, but she has very good balance.  It is so funny to see how they approach the whole business of walking so different from each other.  Gracelyn is all about getting to her destination as quickly as possible.  She just stands and goes, off balance, arms flying, mouth open, free for all.  Ellie is not like that AT ALL.  She will stand up and take very small, well balanced steps.  This makes me rethink what I thought I knew of their personalities.  We have always said Gracelyn is the thinker and Ellie is the doer.  Most of the time, that is the case.  However, when it comes to walking I think they are the opposite.

My parents came up last weekend for Dave's birthday. I called and asked them to come so Dave and I could go to dinner and see a movie to celebrate. We have only been out alone a handful of times since E & G were born, so this was a real treat!!



I don't know if any of you remember the story about Dave's birthday cake last year.  In case you don't, check the link here.  I decided in hopes of not reliving the past as a "Terrible Wife" I would just buy a box cake mix and call it a day.  Dave requested strawberry with strawberry icing, so that was easy.  I guess I should mention that my mom put the icing on the cupcakes while we were at the movie....Thanks, mom!!

We went and saw Dear John after we had dinner.  As soon as the movie was over, Dave looked over at me and said, "That was disappointing."  I will try not to give too much away, but they leave you wondering at the end of the movie.  Dave was disappointed that something didn't happen one way or the other.  I kind of felt like it was resolved, but I guess he wanted a little more.  We enjoyed it for the most part, but everyone I have talked to who saw it have all asked the same question--"Why did she do that???"  I guess if you want to know what "that" is, you will just have to go see the movie for yourself.  Make sure you take some kleenex!

I have another recipe I want to share with you.  Friday night I went to dinner with some friends, but since my parents were coming in I thought I would make soup for them and Dave.  My friend, Amber, shared some of her favorite easy recipes with me and this potato soup was the first one I made.  I realized it was a hit when I came home from the restaurant and put my leftovers in the fridge.  I looked around for the leftover soup that I was most definitely going to try for lunch on Saturday.  I was dumbfounded when there weren't any leftovers!  Obviously, Dave, mom, and dad enjoyed every bite!!  Here you are....

1 package Ore Ida frozen cubed hash browns (plain)

1 box of chicken broth (at least 32 oz.)
1 package of cream cheese
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup diced onions
1-2 cups cubed cooked ham
Dill to season ( a few tsps.) (I sprinkled in some dill weed, I don't know if that is the same thing, or not but I didn't see just dill in the spices)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the onions in butter until transparent. Add the chicken broth and frozen hash browns and bring to a boil. Turn the temp to low and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes, just until the potatoes are cooked, but not falling apart. Add cream cheese and stir until dissolved. Add ham and dill, salt and pepper to taste.

Dave already asked if I would make it again.  He hasn't done that with any of the new recipes I have tried.  He never complains, and always seems to enjoy whatever I make (and the leftovers), but he rarely requests something in particular.  Hopefully, I will get to eat some the next time I make it!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday Dave! Isn't it nice to go out as a couple! I love that you have put recipes on your blog. I am going to have to try this one out!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Happy Birthday, Dave! Glad y'all got to spend some time alone for the occasion. And I am definitely going to try that soup. WE LOVE soup and it is cold enough up here I tend to run out of ideas because I use them all the time! And anything with potatoes is okay in R's book! I never make them, so that would be a real treat for him! Loved the update!