Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 22, 2010

Yummy Fried Rice

I know, it is Thanksgiving week so I should be posting my favorite Turkey Day recipes.  But, I made this tonight and it was such a hit I had to share.  It is the perfect meal to prepare during this busy week because it is super easy!!  I have included the entire recipe as I found it on the internet but have made my changes in red.

  • 3 large eggs
  • vegetable cooking spray
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 t grated ginger (omitted)
  • 2 C small broccoli florets
  • 1 C shredded or matchstick carrots
  • 1/2 C sliced celery (omitted)
  • 1/2 C sliced red pepper (omitted)
  • 1 C sliced snow peas (omitted)
  • 1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
  • 1/2 C vegetable or chicken broth
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions
1. Scramble eggs.  Transfer eggs to a clean bowl and set aside.
2. Wipe skillet clean and add oil.  Heat over medium-high heat, add garlic and ginger, and cook 30 seconds.  Add broccoli, carrots, celery and red pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.  Add snow peas and yellow squash and cook 2 minutes more.  Stir in broth and soy sauce and simmer for 3 minutes, until veggies are crisp-tender.  Stir in brown rice, green onions, and scrambled eggs.  Reduce heat to low and warm through, about 5 minutes.

Since I omitted so many of the veggies, next time I will probably add more carrots, broccoli, and squash or find other veggies to include.  I might also throw in some diced chicken breast with the garlic so it has a little more substance.  Dave isn't used to eating meals with no meat so this was a bit of a change for him!

You really need to try this rice!  I could not believe how quick and easy it was, and, better yet, my picky eater ate a bowl and a half!!

No comments: